February 17, 2011

Rewards of Dirt and Toil

I find it hardest to write posts in this blog when I haven't been actively doing any farm work.  Both my wife and I have "day jobs," as I have mentioned previously, so farming is a part-time thing for now.  Of course, the long term plan is to make enough from fiber sales, market gardening, and limited farm goods (honey coming soon!) to allow one of us to give up the rat race for the tractor race.  We'll see how that evolves over time, but that is certainly the goal.

The thought of working for ourselves has all the glitz and glitter that a new car with all the gadgets has to so many others, yet we know that that car may have a bum transmission just waiting to need replacement, oil lines to constantly patch and re-patch, filters that clog up way too fast.  Farm work, of any kind, isn't easy.  We know that.  We're certainly not thinking, "Oh I can't wait until we can lean back and just watch the garden grow."  We have what I hope is a firm grasp of the time and commitment involved - as much as we can without actually doing it.  But, beyond that, we have learned the pleasure and satisfaction that comes from that hot shower after a long day of shoveling manure.  The iced tea I have while sitting in my chair after a ten hour day digging and a hot shower tastes better than any number of similar teas I have ordered in a restaurant.

That is our goal.  Lots of hard work and lots of sitting back at the end of the day, tired and hot, and thinking "I've done something today, not for my boss, not for my clients, but for my family."  And iced tea.  Don't forget the iced tea.

2 comments:

  1. Hi thought I'd pop over and check in on you folks at Odd Duck Farms, I was here once before and thought I'd check back in. It's nice to find other farms in WA state. I was in Real estate for 12 years and specialized in homes on land. Prices have become far more reasonable in our area. I hope they are for you over in Spokane too. Keep the dream alive, I think I found you on Cold Antler Farm's blog, her story is encouraging for all potential farm owners, I enjoy reading her too.

    Sounds like you're getting all the farm animals and just need the farm. Spring is the time of new beginnings, maybe you'll find that perfect place soon, remember southern exposure is nice, trees are good especially if you have enough to use for building with, and if we had to do it over again we'd want a stream or creek running through the land. Just thoughts. Good luck, I'll check back in on you, I have you on my favorites list.
    Jewel

    PS. Where are you getting the nice drawings? I know Jenna put's some on her site too. I have looked, and can't seem to find a good place. After I realized copywrite laws, I have only been posting my own photos. I like your alpaca logo too, and the shepard photo as a backdrop, nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you chimed in, Jewel. We always appreciate advice from those who have plowed this row before. As for the pictures, they're from various places. Our logo I made myself with Photoshop and some photos of alpacas I had lying around (the duck was there too for some reason). As for the engravings, any image search will do. I simply choose a topic and add the word "engraving." A little research tends to turn up the copyright date. Using engravings often means that they're so old the copyright is no longer valid. I learned that trick from Jenna on Cold Anter. ;o)

    ReplyDelete