February 7, 2011

The Joys of a Mild Winter

I used to hate mild winters.  In fact, crazy as it sounds, one of the many reasons we moved from the warm southwest to the much colder northwest was because we love having four real seasons.  The first year we lived in Spokane we were literally buried under feet of snow all winter long.  The next winter was much the same.  And then we had virtually no snow for the third winter.  We missed it sorely.

This winter has been a little of both.  November was one of the snowiest on record and we were set for another deep winter - that is, until January arrived warm and wet with rain and sleet but little snow.  We haven't had any significant accumulation since December and the ground is generally bare. 

Last night it snowed for real for the first time in weeks.  It was strange to be reminded that this is truly the middle of winter.  Sadly, though, we woke to see it all melted away in the face of 40 degree rain.  Ah well.

Just as I was sinking into a bit of funk over the weather, as I often do when winter fails to impress, the animals gave me a little pick-me-up.  This last weekend was bright and warm enough that the herd all went out into the pasture for some midday fun.  It was the first time since last fall that we've arrived at the farm and found all of the alpacas out of the barn.  It was weird mucking stalls without first having to kick everyone out into the cold. 

Because of the good weather, we let the older males out into their pasture for the first time in a couple of months.  When snow is on the ground their pasture is a bit too steep for slippery alpaca feet.  Right now though, it is all grass and soft mud, perfect for a little mid-winter romp.  Well, the second that gate was opened I would have sworn that I was letting a pack of kindergartners out for recess.  These are the old men of the herd but they were pronking and bounding up and down the pasture like crias, stopping now and then to tear up the little green shoots that survived their snowy covers, munching happily.  For animals that have subsisted on picked over alfalfa and a little grain now and then, the tender green shoots of grass must have been like candy.

I know I should stop grousing and enjoy the weather, whatever it is.  After seeing the boys' unmitigated joy at being in the sun on snow-free ground, I took the hint and spent some time just watching them and sharing in their joy.

It was a good day.

2 comments:

  1. Just got caught up on your posts. What a wonderful adventure! My small foray in gardening in San Diego, really whet my appetite, and I'm hoping someday to live somewhere we can have a garden and some chickens. So excited for your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you when catch up on the blog, Val, if only becuase I get to see our readership stats spike for a day. :o)

    Have you checked the DC regs for urban chickens? A lot of cities are allowing it now, including Spokane and Seattle. In fact, Seattle has the highest chickens-per-resident ration in the US last I heard. :)

    ReplyDelete