January 7, 2011

Winter Sleeps

The terms sleep and winter seem to go together in the modern ethos.  We talk of the quiet of winter with words like blanket, cover, hibernation, slumber – heck, I’ve done that myself (see prior posts).  However, the weather this week has given me a new meaning of “winter sleeps.”  We’ve had an unseasonably warm week, with temperatures in the high 30’s and rain for the last two days.  Much of the snow has melted into sticky slush yet again and the drip drop from the rapidly shrinking icicles is a constant accompaniment.
However, spring has definitely not sprung.  Winter merely sleeps and will soon return in all its normal force. 
We’re supposed to see snow tomorrow, rapidly decreasing temperatures, and the return of heavy snow by Wednesday.  For my part, I wish it comes back stronger than before.  Having grown up in Southern California, I feel cheated whenever the snow on the ground doesn’t hold through the entire season.  Of course, no longer having to negotiate that snow with a small commuter car does help my outlook in heavy winter weather, but that’s beside the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment