December 23, 2010

Warmth in Wood

We have, in our current home, a wonderful brick fireplace that can keep the main floor of the house toasty for hours, even after the fire is out.  However, being an urban farm means that wood can be expensive or downright hard to come by.  Not so anymore.  Our friends put us on to a wonderful farm in Idaho, Blacksmith Farms, that sells firewood and home logs for good prices (including delivery). 
We had to wait a few weeks, this being winter and all, but two days ago a beautiful load of wood was dumped unceremoniously in our driveway.  It took me both afternoons since then to stack it all neatly in the backyard, but boy was the work worth it. 
I’m tired, I’m sore, but for those two afternoons I was definitely warm – all without having to burn the wood.  As it stands now, we have more than a winter’s worth stored up in the backyard along the fences.  Now that we have plenty, I plan to have a warm fire going any day I’m working at home – either on farm business or my “day job.”
Here's to a long day of fireside warmth and gift giving . . . only two more days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment