November 13, 2010

Fall Shearing

No, not the sheep.  Me.  And the kids.  My wife has been cutting our hair for over a year now, and besides a few odd cuts due to my son's near constant movement, she's gotten quite good at it.  With the current economic situation (not to mention various pay cuts by our respective employers) the theme of our year has been "do for ourselves what we can do for ourselves."  This includes hair. 

It doesn't take much as far as equipment goes - no Flobee involved.  A good beard trimmer or hair trimmer can be purchased from Costco for less than the cost of one round of haircuts at a salon, and some of them (especially the Wahl brand) are quite effective.  The kids get their trims in the bath, a nice way to make their unruly hair lie flat and also a handy way to wash off the trimmings.  For myself, my wife sits me in a chair in the kitchen (a wood floor is key here) and shears me short.  Thankfully, I have little left to trim, but even so she does a great job.  In a world where a man's haircut costs $20 and a kid's costs $10 or more, this has been a great money saver for us.  That, and my wife simply enjoys doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment