November 8, 2010

And the Cold Descends

We have been spending more and more time at our friends' farm and less and less at home, thus the thin news of our doings on our own farm.  Today I hope to make up for that.  It's bread baking time again.  I have been using Jenna's recipe (from Cold Antler Farm) to great results in past months.  I have, sadly, given up hand mixing everything, but I still knead by hand - a necessary release of tension in a stressful world.

This weekend, we're making candles for my daughter's school project.  I was glad to see so many supplies still available at the local craft store, but the price of wax has simply gone through the roof.  I imagine it has something to do with the bee die-off happening around the country.  Next spring I definitely plan to put in our fist hives.  I'm tired of paying for something my bees would give me for free.

In the mean time, our wet but mostly pleasant fall has moved on and the deep cold grey of winter is nearly upon us.  The forecast has little gray flecks of snow in it rather than the slanted rain we have been seeing.  I doubt we'll get any accumulation, but it's cold enough outside and the air has that peculiar feel to it that means that winter's blanket is not far from descending on the city.  I hope the chickens are ready.  Come to think of it, I better get raking - the leaves are still on the grass.

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on the hand kneading. I find it therapeutic. That would be awesome to get your own hive. We just did a kitchen gardens tour of the White House with our homeschool group, and they actually have a small hive by the garden! The chef knew a ton about bees, and the kids loved learning about it. We just did candles with the young women at church on Wednesday, and I was also surprised on how expensive the supplies were at Michaels.We used a very modern kit, but we enjoy watching the candle making at Mt. Vernon, done authentically. Did you know that you had to relight your candles every 15 minutes during Washington's day? It was such a pain, they didn't do much by candlelight at night.All that changed when they started braiding the wicks. Amazing what a little innovation can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having made candles several times in the past, it sure is time consuming. We're big fans of oil lamps for that reason (less work per hour of burn). However, I'm curious if an hour spent dipping tapers equals more or less than an hour of actual burn time. Results to follow. :o)

    ReplyDelete