June 23, 2011

What the . . . ?

Well, what could have broken me out of my stupor and finally gotten me to update this blog?  Well, honestly, that's the crushing unemployment that did that, but a contributing factor was the following story posted on CNN today:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/06/23/does-4-h-desensitize-kids-to-killing/?hpt=hp_c2

Not long ago CNN ran an Eatocracy article where a prominent chef extolled the virtues of purchasing meats from 4H programs rather than big factory slaughterhouses, etc.  I read this article with raised eyebrows, totally agreeing with the author yet waiting for the hateful comments to start flooding in.  So many arrived, in fact, that CNN ran ANOTHER article (linked above) just discussing the comments.

Rather than supply my own comments on CNN.com (where I'm quite sure they would be lost in the flood), I've added them here.  Yes, part of 4H concerns the raising and eventual slaughter of animals for food.  However, are they less humane (wrong word, but it's what people say) than the factory slaughterhouses?  I think not.  I have seen many 4H cows raised in grassy pastures out behind kids' homes, pampered and groomed, and even loved.  Those same cows went on to make hamburger and steak for those kids' families and others who purchased them.  How is that as bad as putting hundreds of cows in paddocks covered in literal feet of excrement before shuffling them off to their deaths.  I think not.

I understand that a great number of people think that killing and eating animals is wrong.  I can't blame them for their opinion and I won't try.  However, I personally see no issue in raising one's own meat supply, treating that animal with care and sensitivity and, yes, eventually killing and eating that animal.

Please, don't vilify a program that has helped literally millions of kids learn about their world and their food supply.  You might as well get angry at the boy scouts for teaching kids to trample into the forest - never mind their proven history of helping to bring up responsible, caring adults who contribute to society.

Thus endeth the rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment