March 19, 2011

Play That Old Can, Son

I have to say, for an old computer geek (okay, former computer geek) I have some rather musical proclivities.  I play the guitar, the piano, I sing (when I've had a few), and every single day I listen to some sort of music, lately a lot fo indy stuff and bluegrass.  However, given the range of musical instruments avaialble, I would not have thought the banjo would be on my list.

But then, one of my favorite homesteader/writers, Jenna Woginrich (Cold Antler Farm), decided to hold a Banjo Equinox, free online banjo classes.  I tried, along with many others, to win the brand new banjo from Banjohut.com she was offering via her blog, with no success.  Then it happened that my father's old stickpot, unplayed these last twenty years, popped into my mind.  Lo and behold, I will shortly have a banjo to play - whenever he gets the chance to mail it to me that is and once it gets some tender loving care from a local strings repairman.  In the mean time, my neighbor and good friend has graciously loaned me his.

And here I am, dropped, rather surprisingly, into the world of clawhammer banjo.  First class is Sunday (the equinox, appropriately).  More to come, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment